12.31.2006

Christmas times*


Merry post Christmas :) I don't know about you but I always get a bit sad the week following Christmas... what an AmAzIng season and event it represents*

The Christmas season was buzzing on the boat..we had a German Christmas, a Swedish (Santa Lucia) Christmas, a Dutch Christmas...a VERY interesting Ghanian Christmas eve service, & of course an American Christmas celebration. Christmas AROUND the world!!! It's a Dutch Mercy Ship tradition for everyone to leave their shoe outside their cabin Christmas eve for people to fill with presents. Christmas morning my roommates and I gathered outside our door to find a small mountain of goodies :)

On the ward Christmas morning, the patients woke up to find a pillowcase with a bow tied around it at the end of their beds. They didn't get it at first?? As the nurses encouraged them to untie it, they peered inside, and pulled out a gift specifically for them. I'm sad to have missed it. But Christmas evening I worked a shift on the ward...and it was magical :) Each patient pulled out their gifts for me and held them up proudly on display, smiling the cutest smiles ever from age 4- 65 :) We only have about 12 patients left on the ward during this break, so little nursing was needed, but MUCH celebration! They drummed, we danced, we sang, we watched christmas movies, we played games, we ate...some liked my brownies, and other tried to HIDE it and told me they liked it. ha. :) I think the hot pink frosting scared them & they are not used to sweets. Wish i had that problem! Had a wonderful conversation with a patient's father who through his son's several operations on the Ship has turned from Muslim to Christianity and was so elated to express his joy in this seasons meaning; the birth of Christ~ the Son of God, coming down in humble human likeness to be a living example of service & sacrifice! Maybe the most joyful man I've ever met. Wish you could wrap THAT up & take it home!

The week before Christmas had some great day trips! Was able to go to one of our local villages~ Ashiamin, to see our HIV/AIDS team do some education in the local church. They are educating several community leaders through 6 different classes: 2 on "What is HIV/AIDS?" 2 on "Counseling/Community Support Pre/Post HIV tests" & 2 on "Basic care of an HIV/AIDS person"
It was some of the BEST teaching I've seen here so far, the group was VERY responsive. Ghana has one of the least HIV/AIDS population in Africa, but it is still prevelant. There is a big focus in Ghana now to support and not condem/outcast those with HIV/AIDS. These leaders will be in charge of continuing education and starting a support system for these people in their communities. exciting!

Christmas eve eve I went to the Nswam's Women Prison to give out presents and celebrate with them. Mercy Ships has been in partnership with them in our Rabbit and Bee Harvest projects. It was a very interesting experience, one i think you just have to be there for... But I can tell you their prison grounds were the most bright green I've seen in all of Ghana so far; the prisoners do all their own gardening and cooking. They walk freely between their cement homes and grounds, enclosed by a simple but tall cement wall. They were either dressed in White or Blue dresses. White meaning a crime other than Blue~ murder. Some are said to be on "Death row" but it is only a title to which later goes down to "Life Sentence". There is no death row in Ghana. I can't describe it, but their walk, their deep song, their faces (for the most part) seemed free. Much more so then our American prison systems. It wasn't scary, the grounds almost seemed peaceful. Kate, the M.S. leader that has been working with them talked about how although they may be enclosed by big cement walls, with Christ they are free, born again. Some women let me hold their babies, which they only get to keep with them for one year. It all seemed kind of ironic, but ....true. wish i had more time there.

Christmas Eve!! woke up and drove to the local beach to see the bright orange African sunrise with the surf gang. Wasn't planning on setting foot in the ocean, as i have a slight phobia of it, but my friends boogie boarding looked too fun to miss out on, so i edged my toes in and made a fast splash into the ocean before i changed my mind. After about an hour of boogie boarding and no bites yet!!! I tried surfing. Lol and behold before i knew it my friend Lucy pushed me ahead towards shore and I stood up and rode the wave all the way in. Got up several more times, got my butt kicked several times too! It was no family fireplace Christmas Eve, but i'd say it was the next best thing!