11.19.2006

a latte' rest



Laying low this week in the air conditioning, catching up on some R & R between work. The Ward has been fun, but crazy as its a full on pediatric ward for me now. Lots of Cleft lip and palate repairs, palatoplastys, debulking/amputations, cataracts, etc. If one cries...they all get upset and cry! I found out this week balloons make for better pain control than narcotics! It looks like a circus down there now! :) ahh gotta love organized chaos! (kids suddenly on the floor squatting by their beds peeing into containers they've found, as they are used to doing) Charades can take you pretty far if a translator isn't near by. Always an entertaining shift...never boring thats for sure.

If anyone is interested in sending toys, we have a PATHETIC toy bin: half of the puzzle pieces missing, fully colored in coloringbooks, mismatched lego connector pieces. Toys are a wOnderFul method for distraction during wound care, pain control, and/or to simply pass the time, waiting for healing; I would love to see that thing double, brimming with functional toys, new or used~ in fact, i'm making it my new personal mission. Also, this is so funny to me for some reason, but the adults LOVE to watch the old Ten Commandment movies over and over again! (EVERYDAY) VeggieTales too. If you have any old ones laying around you stopped watching 10 years ago or would like to donate some toys, please let me know!!!!!

Started a new side hobby as well this week... on my way to becoming a Starbucks BaRistA*! We have a coffeeshop on the upperdeck in our meditteranean lounge area where staff goes to relax and hang out... You want a latte', a lotta lattes i'm your girl :) I'm not gonna lie, it was a little like the chocolate factory episode on " I Love Lucy" trying to get all the concontions right, but so fun for me, luckily the training has only begun.

Thursday evening, got a tour of the engine room. Amazing! I'm even more convinced engineers are brillant, genus people! I felt like I was in a spaceship~ there is a whole underworld to the ship you would never know is there! The engine pistons run three stories high!

There is a tropical storm nearby this week so the boat is moving a ton, huge waves crashing on the breaker. Even the slightest movement makes you feel like you're going crazy in the head, tipsy topsy.. hope its over soon.

This coming week I do night shift duty, but the following weekend my friend Hettie and I are planning a trip to HoHoe to see a waterfall and climb the highest point in Ghana. Until then, I'm happy with laying low :)